Monday, December 27, 2010

Pepper Jelly

One of the moms in my homeschool group recently told us that she had tried pepper jelly & really loved it!  She said, "I can't believe I have lived here (in the south) all this time & have never tried it before."  Now I was born in the south (Florida...does that count?)...but raised by parents & grandparents from Alabama, & have never tried pepper jelly myself.  I did not want to admit that I have never had it so I smiled & shook my head, the whole time thinking "I need to find a recipe for that".

So I found this recipe but decided it was not my cup of tea to make...I need simple.  However, I will share it for the ones who would like to give it a try.

2 cups ground bell pepper
1/2 cup ground hot pepper
7 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups white vinegar
1 bottle liquid pectin
Green food coloring, optional

Bring the peppers, vinegar, & sugar to a boil.  Cook for 6 minutes at a rolling boil, then remove from heat & add the pectin.  Return to high heat & boil for 4 more minutes.  Add the food coloring as desired.  Pour into sterilized jars & seal.

(Recipe from Mrs. Wilkes - Savannah, GA)

No comments:

Post a Comment